[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Out with negative!
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Other Rants and NSFW

Out with negative!

More adult conversations. Only lightly moderated but still abiding by forum rules. May contain coarse language or nudity-Not Suitable For Work. You've been warned.

Out with negative!

Postby chrisb » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:05 pm

I survived hell week of nursing school! I can still manage all As if I kick butt, but I am honestly very worn out. I am not a big fan of some of my classmates and their egos so that just got frustrating during this time, but I try to be friendly with everyone because I just can't bring myself to return the rudeness. Jerks are everywhere, may as well get used to it. I've found some very supportive classmates who are genuinely sweet and hard working people to associate with.

I have never had to struggle in school and have rarely made less than a B+. Above average grades make me feel so inadequate. I need to let that stupid ego go and remember that I am not in nursing for grades, but to learn how to help people. It is very immature of me to strive for perfection and compete with people.

I'm usually a very strong person, but I think the intense workload and stress kinda lowered my defenses to a lot of things. I am thankful for the genuine and loving people in my life who rebuild me whenever I feel broken down =] Get a couple days to rest and then a moderate amount of school work to come, but I am glad the worst is behind me... until next semester /sob

I used to meditate when I was getting out of my depression (really helped.) I think I should try it again.
chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

Re: Out with negative!

Postby Farore » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:05 am

Keep working hard Crispy! It can suck to be around negative people or those with inflated egos. Stick to those that will help you create a positive environment. As far as grades go remember: A diploma is a diploma whether you got the absolute max or bare minimum! I had a very hard time coming to terms with this, but coming to terms with it helped cut out some stress in my experience. By all means don't aim to for the bare minimum, work your hardest and focus on the knowledge you gain rather than the grade you get in the end.

I've known a lot of people who find meditating to be very relaxing and empowering. I personally can't because I get distracted by the slightest noise >.<. Find something you can do to help yourself unwind and make time for it during your week. Always make sure you have some time for yourself, otherwise you'll go crazzzzzy.
Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby ThePaul » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:38 am

What's wrong with being crazy? You got a problem with crazy people?

Hey look, a narwhal! Let's go pet it!
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby Fixxxer 117 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:09 am

Every day I'm at school I have to interact with egotistical dicks. I attend an all boys school so it's filled with testosterone, yelling, shoving and the "Jocks" who just love themselves and think they're better than you. Sure there are some who are nice and I'm mates with, but the majority I really don't want to be around.

I feel your pain Crispy.

For Paul:

I do the impossible, like skiing through a revolving door.
Fixxxer 117
Assassin Cross LV 94/62
Assassin Cross  LV 94/62

Postby Tehwilburforce » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:46 pm

Yeah... I can say I feel the same about work and school. However, I think it's great that you realize that you are going through all of this to help people. Keep it up and don't let the competitiveness get to you. That's awesome that you want this for other's sake and not just yourself. :)

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby Luc of True Wind » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:46 pm

You are absolutely right about learning to help others. This position you are dedicating your life to is crucial, and ultimately what will count is how compassionate and caring you are to your patients, and not how well you did on your cardiology exams. If you can touch the lives of those in your care and help to heal them, that is what will matter most in the end.
My best friend is in medical school right now, and she is also facing many of the same hardships as you about doing well and competing with her classmates. I tell her much of the same, but she also feels that tremendous weight of having to know everything, and it downright crushing. Stick to it. Find your own definition of what it means to be successful. You are already doing something amazing by choosing to help others, and you will be endlessly rewarded in the end. /ok
Luc of True Wind
High Mage LV 52/40
High Mage  LV 52/40

Postby chrisb » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:19 pm

Thank you so much for the kind (and funny) words everyone. They honestly did help me clear my mind of all the bad stuff. I got to have a nice day of play with friends today and I am going to do my best to handle the issues I'm dealing with.

@Farore and Luc of the Wind: your posts gave me a ton to think about. I talked to my mom (a nurse for 30+ years) and she told me a lot of the same things you did.

I go do hospital work tomorrow and it can be frustrating, but I'm going to practice clearing my mind and just focusing on the patient so I can make them as comfortable as possible.

I have a week of easy school work ahead of me so I think I'll be able to recharge my batteries /ok

One of my assignments is on cultural sensitivity and I'm educating the class on Japanese health beliefs. We are going to have a lunch day where everyone brings their culture's most famous (but healthy) dish. I'm still not sure what to make, but it sounds like a lot of fun!
chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

Postby Farore » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:43 am

I'm not sure how healthy it is, or how famous it is, but Yakisoba is very yummy! I haven't made it in a while so I can't think of everything off the top of my head, but the main ingredients are meat, cabbage, and carrots. It also has soy sauce and teriyaki sauce. Fun fact the forums think that's spelled wrong, but I checked and it isn't haha. Now I'm going to have to dig up the recipe for it >.<!

Now that I'm back on track and away from food.... That's really cool that your mom is also a nurse and you're able to share experiences with her. Having not only someone you can talk to but also someone who truly understands what you're going through can be very helpful. I actually just finished student teaching last December and would complain to my mom a lot; she'd tell me that it probably wasn't as bad as I was saying. Now that she's doing her student teaching she completely understands what I went through.

I'm glad we were able to help you clear your head. Don't feel like you have to deal with everything all at once. Focus on the most important or pressing issues first. Trying to deal with everything at once just helps to further compound the issues.
Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby Luc of True Wind » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:29 pm

Coming from a position where I work with people and kids, and having gone through graduate school, I can understand some of what you are going through chrisb. As a graduate student, I wanted all of my work to be top notch, have all the most extensive research and teaching techniques ready to use, but then I realized, I am not even a teacher yet, and good luck trying to get a classroom full of kids to settle down for more than 5 minutes to get some research done! Now that I am actually teaching, I see how compassion, care, confidence, and dedication outweigh research and procedure in many ways. This is not to say that all the teaching skills I developed were not valuable, but the fact that my heart and soul are in what I do everyday, is what truly affects my students. It's going to be great when you start doing what you love.
Luc of True Wind
High Mage LV 52/40
High Mage  LV 52/40

Postby Bear » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:12 pm

There is already a lot of wisdom in this thread and I completely agree with what Farore and Luc say. Let me add something a bit different for you to chew on though Crispy.

I strongly believe that a competitive attitude is extremely beneficial, when used in the right ways. The same can be said for the pursuit of perfection, really. The biggest issue though is when you externalize these feelings instead of bringing them internally.

Instead of asking, "How can I be better than this person?", ask "How can I be better than me?" "What steps can I take to be better at doing what I am doing?" Be inspired by what others are able to accomplish and don't judge others for their shortcomings. Conversely, don't always beat yourself up for where you are or aren't.

If you want to help others, ask yourself if you are being effective with your time and being as helpful as possible; this includes being well rested and taking care of yourself first. Strike a balance you are comfortable with between what is ideal and what is practical. Have fun with it and make it your intent to do your best. Always strive to hone yourself and your abilities so you can do the most good. =)
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Return to Rants and NSFW