[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Gotta Vent
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Other Rants and NSFW

Gotta Vent

More adult conversations. Only lightly moderated but still abiding by forum rules. May contain coarse language or nudity-Not Suitable For Work. You've been warned.

Gotta Vent

Postby Bear » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:44 pm

My stomach is churning and I feel sick right now. If you haven't seen my blog entry for today, I accidentally deleted all of my data files. After getting some rest after a long, LONG night of feeling completely emotionally distraught, panicking, shaking from anxiety and generally feeling like the biggest loser on the planet; I did a quick search for some software to recover my data.

What I found was a software demo that was able to find all my files. I wasn't thinking clearly and was just so relieved that I wasn't going to lose critical data that I spent hours thinking I had lost. The software was $70 and I bought it not thinking that there . We are really crunched for cash right now, but I made the purchase anyways, thinking that there was no way I could go without this. The last time I dealt with data recovery software was several years ago and back then it cost quite a lot of money.

When I woke up though, my logic started to kick in (or my fear, I don't know). I had this feeling like the software was a scam and when I looked at its website and lack of means of contact and operating under multiple domains, I really started to worry that my data recovery might be some fraudulent software. I ended up canceling my recovery and plan on trying to get our money back so I can use the free software, but I'm not even sure if I can do that.

Have you ever had a time where you felt like just a general loser overall? Like you are so stressed that you can't think clearly and that most decisions you make our the worst ones? Am I just crazy? I dunno....I just feel like total crap right now.

Sorry for venting, but I am so stressed. Carry on.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Re: Gotta Vent

Postby chrisb » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:58 pm

That really sucks Bear :( From experience, the free recovery tools usually get 50-75% of my data back and I hope you have as much luck with them too. What was the name of the paid software?
chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

Postby Fixxxer 117 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:06 pm

Yeah, my laptop crapped it's pants a few weeks ago. It's my only computer and it had all my schoolwork on it (and my games) and I had no place that I had backed stuff up so I was really panicking. It all worked out eventually but through the course of that week or so because I was so preoccupied with my computer I ended doing almost no work and just had a really shitty week.

I do the impossible, like skiing through a revolving door.
Fixxxer 117
Assassin Cross LV 94/62
Assassin Cross  LV 94/62

Postby Adol The Red » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:38 pm

I usually feel like that when I'm in a relationship and its about to end. Even if its good that its ending, I still act like a total idiot about it and don't really know what I'm doing. I also tend to get stupid when there's a thing I want and have space on my credit card. That's one reason I keep my credit line small. Anyway, I hope things work out for you though and that you feel better.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Location: The Island of Sieren. I was on a ship, but I'm Adol so...

Postby Tehwilburforce » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:50 pm

I've had a few times this year when I felt that way. Usually I felt like a loser when I did something to somebody else, though, not something stupid to myself. I'm just kinda modest, I guess, but that's not important. I hope you can get that info back. I'd hate to wake up and find my file for my writing drafts gone. Sure, I can get my games and my music back easily enough, but I'd hate myself if I ever let anything happen to my writing. I feel for you Bear. Electronics can be nasty sometimes. One little click or button press without paying attention and everything that matters is gone. Good luck getting everything back.

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby ThePaul » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:55 pm

I build myself up into clusterfuck enducing stupors almost every time I do something stupid that could have a major impact on my life. The worst part is that my idiocy is usually something that can be corrected if it work for the fact that I've already given up and started making really bad choices. Still, I've spent all my stat points on luck, so I usually come out of it without too much damage.
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby Farore » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:04 am

I'm sorry Bear =[ Hopefully you can get everything fix painlessly. I'd say more encouraging things by my shoulder aches and I'm slightly veyrmuch drunk and unable to formulate complex thingy-ma-doodles to say.
Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby Bear » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:22 am

The software was called Dada Doctor Recover and can be found . Being completely out of panic mode now, I never would have given my money to these guys - the website looks super sketchy, but I was a total mess when I grabbed it.

Looking at their of their and how terrible the engrish is - I can only assume that they are as sketchy as you can get. The software works (mostly, I'm trying a legit free one now to see if it can do better - as it corrupted certain files), but I'm very weary of this. I can pretty much just assume the $70 is a hard lesson on remembering to keep my cool in a panic situation and not to act when under stress without Pie.

Anyways, I'll be working on getting my computer running again this weekend and try and get everything situated. At the very least, I salvaged the most critical stuff; my e-mail and my Kickstarter folder, filled to the brim with important spreadsheets, documents and video files. Thanks for all the concern and wishing me luck; I feel a lot better now =)
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby -Mara- » Fri May 18, 2012 10:28 pm

I know I'm really late on saying anything but I was wandering the forums and found it. Glad it worked out for you and yea that site does look off. One think I will say though to everyone here
BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP (oh and hopefully on an external hard drive)
I was kinda fortunate to learn this lesson earlier on, and I've still got caught myself lol

Story time!
When I was much younger (no comments please haha) I worked at video store and some wonder twit wasn't doing the back ups, I had no idea about anything like at the time, in fact you were lucky to get me to even turn a puter on (my family still bugs me about now, considering how puter active I am now). Any ways..... so they system crashed and we lost all our memberships (about 10000 people), and the all the movies/games that were in the store no longer had records to go with them. We had to inventory the whole store and re- input into the system and then start redoing the memberships as they came in. Complete nightmare!!! Would have loved to have a recover system for that but not from that site lol

Done rambling!
/lv Mara
-Mara-
Undeclared
Undeclared

Return to Rants and NSFW