[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Switching Net Providers
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Other Rants and NSFW

Switching Net Providers

More adult conversations. Only lightly moderated but still abiding by forum rules. May contain coarse language or nudity-Not Suitable For Work. You've been warned.

Switching Net Providers

Postby Bear » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:55 pm

I've been with DSL Extreme for 8 years and their 6000/768Kbps package has been rock solid the entire time. I can probably count on one hand the number of times they have had outages, and even then they were never for very long. Sadly, I'm forced to pay for a telephone land line that I never use just to keep it running. Combined it was too pricey so I decided to switch to an ATT U-verse plan which allows me to finally cancel my useless land line telephone.

MAN! What a pain! Even though I knew exactly when the service would be going down and planned 3 weeks in advance, ATT would not let me place the order until the old connection was "cleared in the system". I go back and forth between both of them trying to coordinate so we have no loss in connection, but DSL Extreme keeps telling me there is no such notice that they give ATT and the line will simply drop on the date I specified (1/23 - a week before the next billing cycle).

Flash forward to today, and I decide to try to contact ATT one last time to see if the line is "cleared" yet, and what do you know, IT IS and I'm able to schedule an install date for 1/30. Ugh...a full week without a connection...maybe.

So I start to think to myself...well, the DSL Extreme connection is still up and the order is already placed with ATT. Maybe I can get lucky and convince DSL Extreme to push my cancellation date to 1/29 since ATT probably won't be constantly monitoring the line. So now I'm going to call DSL Extreme bright and early tomorrow and pray I can intercept the cancellation before it goes through so that I can have a seamless transition.

If not...looks like we'll be disconnected for a week and I'll be running up the walls going crazy.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Re: Switching Net Providers

Postby th3squirr3l » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:13 pm

The best of luck in getting it extended!

I've had Verizon Fios as my internet provider for some time, and it's been great all the while.

I think the only time I've had to go an "extended" period of time without internet was during the freak snowstorm this past October. Hell, I didn't have power for a week, let alone internet. That took about 2 to get back up? Maybe I'm exaggerating, it was probably one and a half. Either way, it was awful O.o
th3squirr3l
Sage LV 97/50
Sage  LV 97/50

Postby Tehwilburforce » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:48 pm

I used to hate the ISP my family had (Time Warner), but I have to agree, FiOs is awesome. I'm a bit disappointed, though, because I heard the internet connection at the college I'll be attending is terrible. /pif

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby Bear » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:01 pm

Yeah I want FIOS pretty badly, but I don't live in a Verizon service area unfortunately. I am kinda worried about the U-verse connection too because I've heard that even though the download speed is twice as fast, the latency can be worse than what I have currently.

Of course, download speed is nice and all, but anyone familiar with online gaming knows that latency is what really matters. Here's hoping my performance doesn't have any noticeable degradation. /ok
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby RollCasket » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:27 am

Lol...it's kinda funny how people today freak out about their internets...and I'm no exception, if it weren't for my phone I'd be absolutely rabbid right now =P

Hopefully you can get it all sorted without a hitch Bear. Also hopefully I can get fully on my Internet feet again soon, having the phone helps but it's a bandaid fix that's quickly wearing off >.>
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby Bear » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:07 pm

Day 2 The lack of constant connection has left me an empty shell of a man. I found myself wandering the streets and harbors begging for a connection. No one would even look me in the eyes anymore. It's as if they knew I was now less than human... They wanted to pretend I did't exist, but the stench of analog wavelengths and flesh was too strong for them to ignore.

I snuck into a church that had wifi and jacked on in the confession chamber. The fix was enough for me to release squeals of joy, which alerted the clergy of my prescence. Tomorrow I must begin the hunt again; the hunt for my digital existence.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby Tehwilburforce » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:13 pm

You did what in a church??? On second thought, I'd rather not know. lol. Anyway, I'm sorry that you must resort to such desperate measures to obtain internets.

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby RollCasket » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:07 am

Thanks Bear I rather enjoyed that lol.

It reminds me of the first time I used McDonald's wifi...I felt so...dirty...
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby Bear » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:04 pm

OH THANK THE MAGICAL INTERNET GOOMBA!

We are finally back online. I was kinda getting by with having net access on my phone, but then they put a halt to that because I was going way beyond my cap for usage, so I've been digitally deprived for like 2 days. TWO WHOLE DAYS.

I'm amazed I remembered how to turn on the keyboard and type a messfkACKasf'sSPOKETOOfsakl;jaSOON,akfa.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby RollCasket » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:01 am

Man...keyboards...I remember those...it would certainly beat having to babysit autocorrect to make sure it doesn't do something stupid, like change a perfectly good and correct word into another for no reason...>.>
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Next

Return to Rants and NSFW