[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - YOU KNOW WHAT REALLY STEAMS MY BUNS?!
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Other Rants and NSFW

YOU KNOW WHAT REALLY STEAMS MY BUNS?!

More adult conversations. Only lightly moderated but still abiding by forum rules. May contain coarse language or nudity-Not Suitable For Work. You've been warned.

Re: YOU KNOW WHAT REALLY STEAMS MY BUNS?!

Postby Adol The Red » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:49 pm

I think that sort of goes along the same line with how the media treats this stuff sometimes. Obviously they have to report it, and of course TV media is, like anything on TV, concerned with ratings above all else, but that doesn't mean that I still can't be disgusted by some of the things they do. The night it happened I was at my moms and of course they have a Terror in Boston title they've made with big ole letters and stuff. That goes way beyond reporting; doing stuff like that is just using people's deaths for ratings. Then of course they're going to show the video over and over. I can still remember how it was on 9/11. I've seen those planes crash into the towers more times than I ever needed to (and I wasn't even trying to stay glued to the news or anything like that), and when they got footage of someone falling from one of the buildings they were sure to put it front and center. It's just sickening. I'm all for reporting the truth of the matter, and not hiding details even if they are upsetting, but there is a difference between that and what they are doing.

I think people become desensitized to this sort of thing, especially when they use extreme wording to describe every situation. I think tragedy applies here, but they overuse such words, and when you do that they start to lose their meaning, so people stop reacting to honest tragedy. Add to that that social media inflating people sense of importance about their own opinions (and that is just my over-inflated opinion) and I think stuff like we're talking about here is inevitable. In all of this we start to forget that this is about trying to catch a couple of cowardly murderers.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Location: The Island of Sieren. I was on a ship, but I'm Adol so...

Postby Farore » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:19 pm

Along with Adol and Crispy's complaints surrounding this I feel that too much emphasis is put on the murderers. The news seems to love being able to brand them terrorists, but when it comes down to it, they're murderers.

Right after it happened I saw a lot of discussion and speculation about whether they were domestic or international terrorists. We actually ended up having a discussion about it while at work, and many of my coworkers were very stuck on this one idea: Where are they from?

As I said to them then, and still stand by now: Why does it matter? Should they be treated differently based on this? When it comes down to it they set of bombs, murdered 3 innocent people, and injured so many more. The ideals they so clearly hold in their hearts are sick and twisted, and it is for those that they should be judged.

As a final note another thing that really bothers me about this, and all of the similar bombings/shootings, is that so much emphasis is placed on the person(s) behind these acts. Often victims of these are mentioned almost as an after thought, put in when newsrooms have nothing new to say about the perpetrator. Obviously it is critical to share certain details about the murderer, especially when law enforcement is trying to apprehend them, but delving so deeply into their background and "how it all went wrong" is for ratings.
Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby chrisb » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:10 pm

Oh my god, the "we did it!" posts on reddit are going to give me a freaking stroke or something. You did nothing!
chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

Postby thatonesniperguy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:18 pm

thatonesniperguy
Archer LV 63/45
Archer  LV 63/45

Postby Bear » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:15 pm

I can't stand how mainstream media handles tragic events and as a result I mostly turn a blind eye to TV news coverage. There are so many better places to get news and stay informed and I just end up getting upset and/or depressed at how their coverage is sensationalized and reactionary while rarely being thought provoking or insightful.

has a great call-to-action in having media act more responsibly. I hate freedom of speech censorship but at the very least media needs to tone down coverage of these events to just the basics and not glorify the killers.

As far as nationality, I agree with you completely Farore. What does it matter? So people can vilify entire groups of other people? Yeah...there are good and bad people the world over...we as a society need to move away from the hate mongering.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Previous

Return to Rants and NSFW