[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Spam Email
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Other Junk Drawer

Spam Email

General chat belongs in the junk drawer. Watch out for tacks!

Spam Email

Postby Adol The Red » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:18 pm

Just wondering if anyone else enjoys going through their spam email folder as much as I do. There's something about reading the subject lines of horrendously obvious scam emails that tickles me. I never click on the things of course, but the subject line is their hook, and these things are just hilarious.

Today I got one from "Security Team" mentioning how my password has been compromised. Specifically, "y0ur password," with a zero instead of an o. And yes of course, I do employ "security" to secure my computer and web access. That team from security, so reliable. I'll have Beer brand beer while I'm at it, and I think I need to invest in a 2017 "Car Makers" model "Car."

I love this stuff.

My favorites are from sites trying to trick you by making you think it's a girl you met. Or I guess that's what they're trying to do. It's not convincing. It's just, when it's some random girl talking like we met at a party or lost my phone number it becomes laughable to the point of sadness. I'm sure this might at least catch the attention of someone who goes to parties or dates, but I've never really been a party person and haven't felt like dating in years, which makes these all the more pathetic. Might as well send me a mail reminding me to pick up the Aston Martin I bought, or hey, did we meet while sky diving? No and no, but I am entertained by your attempt.

Arrogance aside, I'll give creativity points to the one's who try the opposite trick. "Stop texting me," "Stop sending me your pics," and "leave my friend alone, creep!" are really great attempts. "What?" I'm supposed to say. "Someone has the wrong idea, I'd better click on this to clear up the confusion." Unless you're the kind of person to actually harass people, then the only hook is that you're afraid someone has stolen your identity or something. They're kind of clever. Fooling no one, but kind of clever.

So every time I empty the spam folder I have to go through and search for these gems. I know we all get this crap. Just wondering if anyone else has any interesting ones. I don't mean to praise these things - I'm sure there are people who have been fooled by them just because they're inexperienced with the internet and have no idea the kind of cretins that hang out here, and I am in no way making light of them. I just find these attempts on me specifically to be entertaining due to how little they know about their mark.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Location: The Island of Sieren. I was on a ship, but I'm Adol so...

Re: Spam Email

Postby Pie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:56 pm

Now that you mention it, it IS entertaining when I get spam from a girl from the party I never attended and other things. XD I have thought it was a little funny about how obvious it is that it's spam and I can't help but to wonder how many people end up clicking them. '_' I can understand it happening from a standpoint of inexperience and anxiety though.

Luckily, I don't really get spam mail much anymore. It might be due to the fact that I actually have very little online presence. ^^
Pie
Gypsy LV 87/55
Gypsy  LV 87/55

Postby Fixxxer 117 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:54 am

I don't get a lot of spam but there are some bigger ones that pop up from time to time down here. Things like major enegry companies or the Australian Taxation Office, that kind of thing. They well done enough that the news people are all like "hey now, don't be clicking that email mate"

I do the impossible, like skiing through a revolving door.
Fixxxer 117
Assassin Cross LV 94/62
Assassin Cross  LV 94/62

Postby Alanzi » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:07 pm

Haha, this reminds me of the awesome about replying to spammers. It's worth the watch if you haven't seen it!

I never really got much spam on my personal email accounts, but I've received quite a bit on a work email account. Like, actual Nigerian princes and stuff like that! I'm incredibly tempted to make a throwaway Gmail account just to reply to them and see what comes of it, but I've never actually taken the time to do so.
Alanzi
Priest LV 76/45
Priest  LV 76/45

Return to Junk Drawer