[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Childhood Misconception
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Other Junk Drawer

Childhood Misconception

General chat belongs in the junk drawer. Watch out for tacks!

Childhood Misconception

Postby Adol The Red » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:40 am

Sometimes I like to look back on the things I used to think and say, "WTF?" It can be hilarious to think back to stuff you thought was true when you were very young, or to remember your complete misunderstanding of certain terms. Here are a few of my favorites that I can think of off hand.

Cartoons are real! Okay, maybe we all thought that at one point, so that's not very intersting. What I thought, though, was that not only were they real, but they all lived on another planet somewhere, and we sent camera crews to record their daily lives. This is what I actually believed. Still makes me laugh.

Another is what I thought a skyscraper was. The image I got in my head as a child was of a giant machine that was a mix between a fork lift and a crane. At the top of it was a huge paint scraper. Well, you see where this is going. This was a machine used to scrape the sky. Funny thing is I can't seem to remember what happened to the sky once it was scraped. Maybe I never thought of anything, or maybe that was what made clouds go away. That part I can't recall.

I live in Michigan, and we get a lot of snow. I always used to wonder where the snow went. This was before I learned about the water cycle, or that snow was even just frozen water (I may have known that but I can't remember). I can still remember when I first thought of this. I was in the car with my mom and we were stopped at a light by an overpass (Near Southfield Road and Interstate 75, I can even recall that!) and I looked over at the grassy hill around the sides of the overpass. As I looked, the thought came to me; just where does it all go? Okay, that one is not as funny, but still interesting to me. And I recall it with such perfection. Thanks for that, brain. I could probably use that space for remembering important things, but no, gotta remember my musings about snow.

On a serious note, I just have something I want to get off my chest. Nothing Earth shattering, just... Growing up I too went through the phase where I felt like the only way I could be good enough for my parents was to be perfect. I was very stubborn, and made things hard for them, and any time I got scolded for something (I was never doing whatever I did wrong on purpose, naturally) I would go on the usual tyraid about how they expect me to be perfect and all of that. It wasn't until I was in my late twenties that I really looked back and put a more human face on my parents. I'm older now, but that doesn't automatically make me some all knowing guru who does things perfectly. A lot of us feel that our parents expect us to be perfect, while never realizing that we were laying the same exact unrealistic expectations on their shoulders as well. They did the best they could, and they were wrong sometimes, but like I was fond of reminding them about me, they were only human.

Okay, sorry for the serious. I really mean this topic to be a fun and funny discussion about the crazy things we thought as children, I just needed to get that out while I was on the subject of misconcieved childhood notions.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Location: The Island of Sieren. I was on a ship, but I'm Adol so...

Re: Childhood Misconception

Postby Farore » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:24 am

My biggest misconception as a child had to do with driving. Even though I had sat in the front passenger's seat countless times, I was still under the impression that, while in the drivers seat, you got this crazy amazing view of the car and road around you. This lasted right up to the point of getting my own learners permit. I sat down in the drivers seat and when "Whoa, I can't see anything extra, what's going on?"

A little while before that while we lived in Spain my dad once let me try driving the "hooptie". It was a fun little used Ford Fiesta my parents got while our fancy van was being shipped back to the states so it would be here when we moved. Prior to this my only driving experience was with video games, and when I play a racing game there are two speeds: not moving and OMG BUTTON MASH. I assumed that this applied to real world cars as well. When he let me into the drivers seat I put the car in gear and went pedal to the metal. I'm pretty sure I scared the living crap out of my dad.

I felt the same way when I was younger, Adol. I would only be good enough for my parents if I were perfect. I remember the first time I ever got a B on a report card, an 89% no less. I was a freshman in high school and attending a boarding school, so not only did I have the immense fear of telling my parents I had, in my mind, failed, I had to do it over the phone. This situations was made worse by the fact that report cards had already been sent out, and by some stroke of misfortune someone else's report card had been tucked in with mine. Someone who quite literally was failing. My parents were freaking out and I adamantly apologized about my grades. They were threatening to pull me out of the boarding school and go to Rota, a 2 hour each way bus ride. I was hysterical because it was somehow even worse than I could have imagined.

At some point shortly into the phone call I hear my mom start laughing. Hysterically laughing. This irritated my dad and he asked what was so funny. As it was recounted to me my mother held up both report cards and said that I was freaking out over a B+, and that they had received someone else's report card. I was still profusely apologizing for my retched grade, and my parents tried their hardest to explain to me that I was the only one that expected perfect grades of myself. It was a really eye opening experience for me, though all through high school I worked very hard to get those straight A's I wanted.
Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby Bear » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:38 am

When I was about 4 or 5, I was sent out on a plane trip from Colorado (where I was born) to California to spend some time with my Aunt and Uncle. My mom and dad stayed in Colorado so I got to take the trip alone and the stewardesses were really awesome giving me lots of snacks and the flight pins they used to have for kids.

I don't remember really anything of my trip, but for the LONGEST time, I had a very strong memory of taking a long road trip (like 2 whole hours) with my Aunt and Uncle to Niagra Falls. I have NO idea where I got this idea and it held up for a really long time until I started to look back and think...huh...there is NO WAY we went to Niagra. I'm pretty certain California is more than 2 hours away.

The only thing I can think of that might account for such a memory is watching something on TV and not realizing the TV did not equal real life.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby Alexx » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:11 pm

Lets see let see....what did my childhood mind cook up?

- One thing that is pretty common: hopping in the car and ending up at your destination without any idea of how you got there. There is this park that actually wasn't that far from my house that I thought was just...elsewhere. You know, the idea in your head that meant "This is REALLY far away!" I don't know why I saw the car ride as long...I mean, it doesn't take long to get there at all! So as I grew older and was able to ride my bike around I found all these places that I had gone when I was a kid and - they were so CLOSE! Nowhere near the end of the world as I thought they had been. Funny how that works out.

- Whenever I saw a toy on the back of a package I always thought it was WAY cooler than it actually was. I saw the accessories 'n such and thought up all kinds of ways that they could be used, but when I got the toy it was just simple. For instance, there was a figure of Snake Eyes from G.I. Joe that had this three part rod. It attached by little loops, but you could pull it apart. I had assumed that was because there were gona be endless ways to...I dunno, mess with the accessories? I remember telling my friends (though I didn't have the figure) about how that figure had all sorts of configurations with his accessories (there were holes in his sword blade so I assumed you could hook things there too) and I just assumed the toy makers were awesome like that! This went on for so long; I always embellished what I saw, but I totally believed what I thought! I mean, I was bascially making things up - I just thought may more into it than what the toy makers actually made! My Grandma always used to tell me I was gona make toys someday...maybe I shoulda listened to her.

- When I was little I assumed that there was some sort of drastic change when you got older. Somewhere along the way you got interested in...oh heck, I don't know. Sports 'n stuff? My reasoning was the big 'ol boxes of my Dad's comics in the basement. I would sit down there and flip through them all the time! Somewhere along the way I had to think: why isn't he interested in this stuff anymore? As I grew older my interest in the fantastical never wained, and the comics evidently showed that my Dad had a similar interest at some point. Where did it go? Naturally I assumed it just...left you. Never left me, though. Can't say why. Perhaps I'll know when I have children?

- I will always think of the "inside" of a computer as a black background with colored windows. The first few computers we had ran on DOS, so I learned early on from that. When we finally got our first computer with them fancy Microsoft Windows, my Dad explained it to me as a sort of face. As in: underneath the Windows, there's still that DOS screen. 'Course it's much more complicated than that, but that's what I thought and somewhere deep in my head I still sort of see it that way.

- I had a stunning revelation when I was a child, that no one had ever actually been inside the Earth! I had seen cutaways about the crusts and the core and all that. I never thought about how they know that. I just assumed someone had checked! Then I realized that no one had been there - no one checked. It was all assumed based on what has to be there for the Earth to work the way it does. It was quite a revelation at the time!

That's all for now, until I think of more.
"Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog
Alexx
Knight LV 98/50
Knight  LV 98/50

Postby chrisb » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:31 pm

I used to think the What-a-Burger fast food place was called Water Burger. I always wondered just how they made a burger out of water.
chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

Postby Adol The Red » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:27 pm

Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Postby Tehwilburforce » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:34 pm

So you see, when I was little and I was getting my first taste of the Pokemans, I always thought that when it asked if you wanted to save, you were saving a game that you somehow played on the PC in the Pokemon Centers when you were in swapping out your Pokemon. I have no idea why. That just happened. XD

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby Farore » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:38 pm

Oh Pokemans. When I first got Pokemon Stadium I thought that whoever entered their move first went first. Pokemon speed? What is this I don't even! I would get super frustrated and accuse the game of cheating because I would enter in the move so fast!
Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby Adol The Red » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:36 pm

Oh I forgot about this one till now. Apparently when I was little I thought water was a type of juice. Well, I was tricked into thinking this by my parents, but that was because I refused to drink anything but juice. They fooled my by calling it wa-wa juice. Mmmmm clear, tasteless juice. Yum!

I find this one interesting because I have no actual memory of it whatsoever. My only memory of this is of being told about it. Well, I do seem to remember being asked if I want wa-wa juice, but it was at I time when I was old enough to think it was strange that they were calling it that.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Postby chrisb » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:38 pm

Wa-wa juice... ADORABLE!
chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

Next

Return to Junk Drawer