[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Robotics!
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Other Junk Drawer

Robotics!

General chat belongs in the junk drawer. Watch out for tacks!

Robotics!

Postby th3squirr3l » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:27 pm

A thread created by popular demand... of sorts....

As some of you know (I'd like to think you notice xD), I haven't been able to join everyone for the Saturday gaming sessions yet. I've been very busy with robotics competitions, an hobby/extracurricular that takes up quite a bit of my time. In fact, I used to spend 15-20 hours a week on it minimum. I'm not so zealous about it anymore, though I do have the occasional 7 hour build session with my friend. Good times :)

Bear with me, it's kind of hard to explain it all at first.

Anyways, I compete in an international competition called VEX Robotics. (If you've heard of FIRST, it used to be part of that.) It's an ever growing competition for middle schoolers, high schoolers and college students, with thousands of teams competing yearly.
Each team must design, build, and program a robot to carry out specific tasks involved in playing a game. These tasks generally include picking up game objects/elements (ie. a ball, cube, ring, etc.) and scoring them on/in goals of varying types and sizes to recieve points. The game varies each year, and often has some sort of unique "catch" to it. A match consists of 4 teams on 2 alliances, and alliances change throughout a competition/tournament... I guess I'll explain that in a bit...

This year's game is called Gateway. It involves depositing balls and barrels into goals of varying heights. Umm... I'm not exactly sure what else say about it, so I'll link a few videos so that you might be able to see how it works:
Rules: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taf44kEt ... r_embedded
Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxsWZXmF6Rs
(Since I have no footage of my own team, which consists of just me and my friend (and a few others, but they don't do much), I found a match of another team at my school, 3057. Their robot is the one starting closest to us.)

Winning local competitions and state championships qualifies you to attend the World Championships, which I've been to every year so far; we've been to Dallas twice for it and to Orlando once. I met Grant Imahara my sophomore year and got a few t-shirts autographed. /heh I'll most likely qualify this year, as well.

Aaaaaaand, now the fun stuff, a few pictures of my robot xD

A deceptively simple design, it works pretty efficiently. I won't get into too much technical stuff, because I'd rather not make this post too long by going on forever about it xD
th3squirr3l
Sage LV 97/50
Sage  LV 97/50

Re: Robotics!

Postby th3squirr3l » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:29 pm

Hmmm... That first picture is linked incorrectly. Sometimes I hate imageshack, idk why I use it...

This

is what that should be linking to.

Forgive the blurryishness.
th3squirr3l
Sage LV 97/50
Sage  LV 97/50

Postby TenaciousTinkerer » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:31 pm

That robot looks quite awesome squirrel. /no1
Big sword you say!? Im in :D
TenaciousTinkerer
Knight LV 68/1
Knight  LV 68/1

Location: Somewhere blasting, N smashing stuff with a laser greatsword

Postby Tehwilburforce » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:07 pm

Interesting. Looks pretty intense. A lot of thought obviously goes into how the robot accomplishes its goal. Also, you are one lucky duck. I wish I could meet some Mythbusters. lol.

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby ThePaul » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:16 pm

I though I met Jamie one time when I was at the zoo, but it turned out to be just a walrus.
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby th3squirr3l » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:46 pm

^Whoa. I was at the zoo once, and I thought I saw a walrus, but it was Jamie!

Kari Byron was at last year's world championships, though I never got to meet her.

Wanna know something awesome? Grant Imahara asked ME a question. I knew something that he didn't. I answered and he said, "Cool."

I'M COOL, GUISE! I'M COOL :D

^Trustory.
th3squirr3l
Sage LV 97/50
Sage  LV 97/50

Postby Tehwilburforce » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:29 pm

OMIGOD! We have a badass here, you guys!

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby Bear » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:32 pm

Wow, that is pretty cool Squirrel, thanks for sharing =)

I miss checking out Myth Busters; we stopped having TV service before the other co-hosts had prominent roles in the show.

I'm really curious what the question was that Grant asked you. It wasn't something silly like where is the bathroom? Was it? hehe
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby ThePaul » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:28 pm

Don't you mean something awesome, Bear?
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby th3squirr3l » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:36 pm

In fact, it WAS something silly and rather unimportant-ish! xD

It had something to do with the scheduling and stuff of the competition or something, as I was wearing an event staff shirt because... well, I was helping out as part of the event staff. In addition to participating in the competition...

Man, now that I think about it, that was really hectic xD
th3squirr3l
Sage LV 97/50
Sage  LV 97/50

Next

Return to Junk Drawer