[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Cosplay anyone? Share your stories here!
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Other Junk Drawer

Cosplay anyone? Share your stories here!

General chat belongs in the junk drawer. Watch out for tacks!

Cosplay anyone? Share your stories here!

Postby XelaReko » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:49 pm

Ever since I was a little kid, I have always dressed up as my favorite characters. First cosplay was of Aladdin when I was 3 (I was adorable!). My mom sowed my costume herself. Over the years, I have gotten much more complex. I have been Indiana Jones, a scientist from Half-life, John Marston (my avatar), and I will soon to be Roy Mustang with real ignition glove action! ($19.99 + shipping and handling (not really as it is still explosives and dangerous if you don't know what you are doing!))

I just wanted to know what the rest of you cosplay as, how you make your costumes and props, and any funny stories that come to mind about cosplaying in general.
XelaReko
Acolyte LV 63/45
Acolyte  LV 63/45

Re: Cosplay anyone? Share your stories here!

Postby RollCasket » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:29 pm

I don't do a whole lot of cosplay or anything, my very first one was just a simple Reno from FF7, a year or two ago was Mario, then just this year I did a full on Link from Zelda with replica sword and shield and everything...and let me just tell you that shield is damn heavy =P

Admittedly, the Link was as much for me as it was for my gf as Zelda is her favorite series and she LOVES Link, so as a bday gift I surprised her when I came over with the whole setup and without going into details...she really liked it =P

I've seen a lot of cool ones though, though no idea what I would do next...a lot of cooler ones would look funny on me cause I'm short >.>
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby Tehwilburforce » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:40 am

I've done a decent Luigi with a good friend of mine as Mario before. I also did Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes one Halloween even though I was way too tall to be Calvin. More recently, I've been the Otacon from Metal Gear Solid and the sniper from TF2. I carried around a manga book as Otacon so my friends would know who I was. I didn't want to be labeled as just being a "scientist". :lol: I just try to do awesome costumes at Halloween, but I've never been to a con before. If I were to go to one, I'd probably wanna be Young Dante from Devil May Cry 3 or the protagonist from Persona 3.

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby RollCasket » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:36 am

Even though persona 4 seems the be a lot more popular than 3 I like the characters from 3 better. The name of the main guy though is Arisato Minato, which I think is what they named him in the manga cause I don't think there was a name in the game.

Also, even if they're simple, I always enjoy "combo cosplays" with 2 or more people dressed up as characters from the same game/anime.
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby th3squirr3l » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:28 pm

I don't consider myself to be a cosplayer at all, but I did go to the last NY ComicCon and needed at least something for it, so I ordered a blank white mask online and painted it to look like Masky from Marble Hornets. It looks pretty darn good, too. I've scared plenty of people with it over the past few months, it was well worth it xD

I'm also slowly but surely scrounging together a TF2 Spy costume of sorts. A few weeks ago, I ordered myself a Balisong and have been learning to flip... I'm pretty dexterous, so I've been getting good at it. Then, by chance, I got an awesome pocket watch for Christmas from my dad. Dead Ringer, anyone? I have a balaclava... So I guess that just leaves the right suit, an electro-sapper, a cigarette case and a French accent xD
OH, and paper masks with pictures of the other TF2 characters on them :D
th3squirr3l
Sage LV 97/50
Sage  LV 97/50

Postby XelaReko » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:47 am

I saw a TF2 Spy that could do the knife flips and what not. I was super impressed.

I saw some extremely good Lightnings from FF13 at MAGFest along with a hector from Fire Emblem which is probably on of my all time favorite games. Also saw a really good Vault Girl with a plasma pistol and pip-boy. The Pip-boy actually worked! She had an iPhone in it with the screen and it even had some interaction. It was very cool. There were lots of Resident Evil Cosplayers there as well. I don't really play those games but my friend usually cosplays as one of the characters and was overjoyed at the sight of fellow RE fans.

All in all, it was a great turnout for a con that doesn't really cosplay much.

Not really sure on Forum Etiquette for photos so I will just post links as they are quite large.

(Hector, one of the lords from Fire Emblem)
http://i.imgur.com/1l47t.jpg

(Fallout Vault Girl with working Pip-boy)
http://i.imgur.com/TtIiv.jpg

(Lots of Resident Evil Cosplayers)
http://i.imgur.com/N91wy.jpg

(Same Guy but only picture I have of the other)
http://i.imgur.com/U1XDQ.jpg

(And group shot of RE Cosplayers with a new person)
http://i.imgur.com/wK52V.jpg
XelaReko
Acolyte LV 63/45
Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby Farore » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:42 pm

Going to AM2 has inspired me to Cosplay! Still working on figuring out who to do but I have a few ideas:

Anime:

Blair or Tsubaki from Soul Eater. If I go with Tsubaki I though it might be cool for Roll to do Either Black Star or Masamune. He doesn't think he could pull off the Black Star hair though.

Yoko from Gurren Lagann.

Fuu from Samurai Champloo.

Video Games:

WoW armor- I'd have to also do the ears and be all kind of blood elf. Two reasons:

-Alliance is grossssss so I don't want to look like a human.
-Tauren seems kind of impractical.

Dovakinn from Skyrim

Vault Girl from Fallout

Palutena from Kid Icarus, Roll would be Pit

Does it seem like something is missing from this list that one might expect to be here? Well it is, I'm not considering Zelda because that is what I'm going to be wearing for my wedding dress! I mulled the idea around for a while because I didn't want our families to be weirded out or anything, but in the end we decided that it will be our day so we're going to do it how we do best, Super Nerdy!

Any Ideas or Suggestions? When I actually have to think of stuff I like I always seem to quickly draw a blank >.<
Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby XelaReko » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:15 pm

Zelda themed wedding sounds so awesome! Lucky!

I am also going to be making a Mushishi cosplay soon and will update here with photos of my progress. You should think about doing the same!
XelaReko
Acolyte LV 63/45
Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby Pie » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:05 pm

wow, a Zelda wedding dress! XD That's really awesome!! I'd like to see that! =D Is Roll doing to dress up in a Link outfit then? XD I was thinking maybe a green tux at first, but then on second thought I think it'd look bad, not only that, but he'd probably look more like a leprechaun. /heh I suppose it might have to be the tunic... Are you guys going have Triforces on the back of your hands too and pass a Triforce over instead of a ring? XD I think it'd be really Geekishly Awesome! XD You can even go more over the top with a wedding version of the main zelda theme playing during the aisle walk! =D

I've had the hankering to do cosplay since I was in high school, but never had the motivation or guts to actually do it. I don't think I ever will now though for various reasons. /swt2
Pie
Gypsy LV 87/55
Gypsy  LV 87/55

Postby th3squirr3l » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:07 pm

Wow, a Zelda wedding dress sounds awesome :D

I remember hearing of someone that walked down the isle to Wind Waker's title theme. It goes something like
th3squirr3l
Sage LV 97/50
Sage  LV 97/50

Next

Return to Junk Drawer