[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Slippery Soap
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Life in Aggro Illustrated Laughing Squares

Slippery Soap

In Soviet Russia, comic draw you! Chat about LiA~

Slippery Soap

Postby Adol The Red » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:54 pm

Awww yeeeaahhhh, gratuitous shower scene! ...anyway, rattlesoap. I love the rattlesoap. I also love the look on its face when it bites, like it doesn't really know what's going on or something. This one was great. I laughed heartily.

So far as Lunar is concerned, I only played the PS1 Lunar SSSC. Had the special addtion with the nice cloth map and stuff. I greatly enjoyed the game. Pretty sure I played it at least twice, maybe more, but I never got around to Eternal Blue. Great humor and decent characters. I had no idea about Working Design's crazy decions, though. That magic points thing is just freak'n rediculous. I mean who ever thinks that's a good idea? That'd be like if you had to find ink ribbons to save or something.

One of my favorite parts of the PS1 Lunar though was the making of CD, not for the regular content, but for when you put it in and hit Up, Down, Left, Right, Triangle, Start. You get a fun little pong like mini-game, called Lords of Lunar, where you compete to be the last character portrait standing. You use your bumper to protect blocks that make up your life, and if you want to win you'll chose a corner spot. I played this game for hours. Sadly I could find no video of it.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Location: The Island of Sieren. I was on a ship, but I'm Adol so...

Re: Slippery Soap

Postby Pie » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:33 pm

hahaha, thanks Adol. XD I was a bit unsure for a while what we were going to do about having a character naked in the shower. It feels a bit awkward since there's very obvious censorship. I didn't know how to get around that other than with the mist. =x

I'm happy you like the snake's expression as it bites Bear. =D It was actually an idea Bear drew in himself for fun and we ended up really liking it. XD

Oh yeah! I had a friend who was a huge Working Designs and Lunar fan and he really loved that game too! XD I admit that Working Designs did some really cool game packages and extras. =) It's definitely something special that made them stand out among other publishers. I'm really happy that NIS America has been doing nice packages nowadays; though not as overblown as Working Designs stuff, I think it really makes purchasing physical games really fun! XD Games need more cloth maps! >.<
Pie
Gypsy LV 87/55
Gypsy  LV 87/55

Postby Adol The Red » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:42 pm

Yeah I like the things NIS does. I have all three bonus packages for the Ar Tonelico games and the one for Atalier Rorona. It's a simple package: game, art book, and music, but I like them. Though I have to say that I would rather pay a few extra bucks for a full soundtrack. You can't make all that awesome music in AT and give a limited soundtrack. It's better than nothing, though, and them being at normal price means I can still get them without preorders, which I think is pretty cool.

I also have to give the same nod to XSEED. I've got a few Ys games with nice boxes, and the last Legend of Heroes had a nice set, too. They mostly just come with music, which is a big yes for any Ys game, but the box for Ys: Oath in Felghana also came with this interesting calander with different character portraits. It was set up kind of odd and I never used it, but it was still a neat bonus. Still no cloth maps, though. And no punching puppets. ...an Adol Christin punching puppet. That would be sweet. I would definately make that into an avatar if that were a real thing.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Postby Pie » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:52 am

yeah, it is a real shame that they don't give you the whole soundtrack. '_' I wonder what kind of issues keep them from doing the whole thing.

We haven't gotten new games in a while, but I was liking Xseed too! XD I like the selection of games they choose to release and they do great localisations from what I've experienced. ^-^ I've always wanted to try out the Legend of Heroes series since Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky came out in Japanese for PC back in the mid 2k. XD I always wanted to check out Y's too but never really had a chance to. My brother and I got Y's: The Ark of Napishtim for the PS2 when it first came out; he loved it, but I never got around to it. He has it now that I've moved out. '_' It was horribly dubbed from what I remember. XD
Pie
Gypsy LV 87/55
Gypsy  LV 87/55

Postby Adol The Red » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:22 am

Oh man, yeah Ys: The Ark of Nepishtim has some absolutely terrrible CG and voicework. Like the voicework is Legend of the Dragoon cutscene type terrible. (Though I will admit that Olha's voice is pretty regardless of how the lines are delivered). I played it first on the PSP, which cut most of the voicework and the CG, so I had no idea, but I borrowed Alexx's PS2 copy and got to see that opening scene in all its terrible glory. Wow.

Legend of Heroes is a fun series. I have the other three that came out on the PSP as well, and though I've never gotten around to finishing the third I would still recommend them. All pretty good. What's interesting is that those three are all tied together in the same world, whereas it appears Trails in the sky is a new standalone game. Although when you look up the history of LOH you can see that there are a lot more than four of them, most of which came out on systems I know I've never heard of. It seems a lot of them went Dragon Quest style in that you'll get a loosely connected trilogy, all of which take place in the same world. There are also strange chronology issues.

Take 1, 2, and 3 on the PSP. 1 is chronologically the first, but was released as 2 in Japan. 2 is chronologically the last, but was the first of that trilogy to come out. Three is in the middle of the timeline, but of course came out last. Each game takes place in a different region of the same world, and each region is separated by a nearly impassable barrier. What's cool is there are a few characters that will cross over from game to game, while they're not usually playable characters, it's still pretty cool to deal with them again or see them in different areas. There's also some similar iconography that you'll find in each region.

I also just like how they play. The battles have some similarities to Lunar, in fact, and they're not the grindheaviest games out there. In fact, the general rule I've learned is to not pass up any battles and you should have just enough levels to get by, and just enough money for equipment. I also like how as your main characters go through the games, they'll usually be fighting alongside a different set of characters in each region. It keeps things fresh so long as your party is concerned, and each character feels nicely fleshed out. The only downside is eventually having to part with characters you really like, and of course you'll be fighting the final battle alongside people you only recently met. Still, pretty awesome. And speaking of final battles, if you feel that a lot of RPGs nowadays have some pretty wimpy final bosses, then play LOH 1. That was a refreshingly difficult end boss, and I had to come up with a pretty specific strategy to beat it.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Postby Bear » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:59 pm

I like to think that the soapsnake has the expression of "Your move, asshole" in the bite frame, then gets completely taken by surprise when being used as soap. "That's ODD...no one has done this before! Everyone else usually runs off or faints!".
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby hrist » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:04 pm

This was a funny comic too, I was debating to take a shower when I saw this comic, so it was rather funny timing, hehe. I really loved your rant about lunar too, I really actually enjoyed the translations from Working Designs back then, I guess they weren't exact to the localization of the Japanese version, but I kinda grew up loving the quirky humor they put into it, it was mosty metson, and vic, they were preety funny about how they translated the game, there's alot of american humor in it I can remember alot of puns related to american society, like in the transference pad to vane in tss the warrior in training talks about licks to get to the center of a toosie roll pop and I think thinks nall is an owl, there's plenty more, they really had the oddest humor

there's a rare nall plushie on ebay i see from time to time, but it goes for hundreds, i always wanted that, i had a shirt from lunar but i wore it into it became the most holyest thing ever.

once after a e3 I wrote back to borgan after he was at the e3, they should of had a ghaleon, but a borgan is pretty funny, I have my picture taken with him actually..

I'm still sad that I didnt' take the role of him then, I cry about it still. I wrote him after a e3 and he wrote me back a rather long email about the business borgan was up to and how he's contalntly after lemina ausa, it was rather cute I wish I still had it around I might, It was more than 10 years ago.

Even with the first lunar on the sega cd, they had like 6 different cds with different art for each one, even then they were making it a collectors item, I still want to get them all, the bonuses were always awesome, each game i bought from the lunar series felt like a divine gift from god each time i got it a new lunar game. Eternal Blue could of come with more of different covers that would of been good, but there wasent much there, all the goodies on the psx versions were great, they really should make more games like that, dragon song wasent relased with that many goodies and nor the other newer ones, I need a psp still, I'm behind on my consoles.

I loved to power level in lunar 2 eb, I really loved the ice mongols, you could fight them like metal slimes in dragon warrior and mass level, that was always fun, I always loved to find ways to level to 99 early in the game, I even defeated Ghaleon in pentugila when your really supposed to loose, which was fun, though I really love ghaleon i hate to fight him I always felt bad for him he was so conflicted but had heart somewhere, he was always one of my favorite video game characters. many of my friends went by ghaleon nicks, and made shrines to him, sites like rpgfan and more, ghaleon really was the most awesome person ever, he had the best voice actor ever too John Truit, he really gave him the character that brought him to life.

I'm still obsessed with mia ausa too, I've been friends with someone called that on lunarnet on irc for the last 15 years, she still is one of my favorite characters too in the series, I always loved her in TSS, she seems kinda like a minor role but to me she always stood out, I always thought her and ghaleon deserved side games, it's interesting how they had leminia ausa in the later eternal blue

I think it' time for another lunar remix or gasp a sequel, I remember back in the 90s singing petitions to get it on the saturn, 'hope springs eternal' and even petitions for a real lunar 3, hopely some day... someday...

I love the soundtracks to lunar, they are really good, Ghaleon's theme on TSS was the best ever, nothing like that, all the overworld themes were really good too and the parts during the end near zophar are great, all the music in those series are wonderful

I love alot of the ys soundtracks too, there's this one song on other ark of naplaim, i think lapiz lapiusi, really good song.

hrist
Undeclared
Undeclared

Return to Illustrated Laughing Squares