[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Vocation Rotation (4/14/12)
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Life in Aggro Illustrated Laughing Squares

Vocation Rotation (4/14/12)

In Soviet Russia, comic draw you! Chat about LiA~

Vocation Rotation (4/14/12)

Postby Pie » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:41 am

The idea behind this comic is that in Dragon Quest 7, you are given the ability to change jobs (classes). Not only are you able to change into the usual warrior, mage, etc. classes, but if you are lucky enough to get a monster heart after defeating monsters, you can change your job to a monster class to learn their skills and take on their attributes!

I got this game years ago on my birthday from a friend when it first came out in November 2001. I wasn't really much into Dragon Quest at the time and I think my friend mainly got it for me because he wanted to check it out for himself without having to risk buying a game to end up not liking it. ^^ You need a lot of patience for this game; it takes TWO hours before you get into your FIRST battle!

Like I said, I was never really much into Dragon Quest except for the manga "" by Kamui Fujiwara (I love this manga series. T-T) I got into Dragon Quest 3 because of my love for the manga and got into Dragon Quest 8 probably because of the new pretty cel shaded visuals by Level 5 and the character designs, but never got far into either of them. The instruction manual of Dragon Quest 7 briefly went over the class change and skill learning system and got me really excited to get to that point; my anxiety drove me to continue playing the game. It wasn't bad, but I eventually got stuck and never went back. According to what I've read, class changing opens up at around 15 hours into the game, I got stuck I think around 11 hours in. XD

-anyhow, about the comic!

Bear and I recently read a comment someone made in response to this comic on another site. It wasn't a typical negative comment, but it still kinda bothers us. I didn't want to disclose what and where the comment is because I didn't want it influencing your perspectives. I was just curious about what you guys think of it, any thoughts?

Thanks for your input. =)
Pie
Gypsy LV 87/55
Gypsy  LV 87/55

Re: Vocation Rotation (4/14/12)

Postby chrisb » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:53 am

This was one of the silliest comics I've read here, but I mean that in a good way. It made me chuckle and I liked it. I know what comment you are talking about. I think that person was just being a troll (lamest troll attempt ever I might add) or has some serious issues. I wouldn't let it get to you. Most people with a brain will understand that this comic was not trying to be anything more than silly.
chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

Postby Fixxxer 117 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:55 am

I loved this comic, it tickled me in just the right way and when I first read it I was chuckling for a good while. I agree with Crispy in that you shouldn't let those kind of people get to you. I would imagine that every single artist in any field throughout history was criticized at some point or another and that this stuff just comes with the territory. So don't worry about it.

I do the impossible, like skiing through a revolving door.
Fixxxer 117
Assassin Cross LV 94/62
Assassin Cross  LV 94/62

Postby RollCasket » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:29 am

Yeah I really liked this one too personally, I saw it while at work on my phone and had a good laugh lol. I also loooove me some class/job changing in RPGs so those are always a big hit with me. So when he was like "woooo...and now you're a slime, here's your hat" I was already laughing =P

Which reminds me to say characters usually always have some visual difference after class changing, but I've seen a few games where you don't and it's somehow SUPER disappointing D=

In any case, I loved the comic, keep up the good work!
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby ThePaul » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:58 am

Don't worry that dood's just a troll. Or is Jay and Silent Bob. But prolly just a troll, from the last bit. /swt2

I did spend a little too much time thinking about the logistics of Man on Slime mating and how they wouldn't notice him doing it before he left, though, and decided to stop thinking about it. /no1

Also, I was quite amused by it before I started having impure thoughts about Slimes. /swt2
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby Farore » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:52 am

I laughed at this one probably more than I should have since I know nothing about Dragon Quest. When Roll and I worked at Game Crazy we had this PS2? controller shaped like a slime from Dragon Quest, and because my brain is silly I could see Roll putting it on his head and sliming it up.
Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby Tehwilburforce » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:35 pm

Though I have never played any Dragon Quest, ever, I still enjoyed it. Just the random mating joke made me smile. btw I love you guys and you shouldn't get discouraged by one little comment elsewhere on the internet. After all, there just isn't any place on the web as friendly as the forum here. We're here for you. :D

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby Bear » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:31 pm

Thanks for the support all; it's a funny situation to be in. I know the writing is there and sure, you can take it to that extreme, but it really struck us as portraying the comic in a heavily negative/vile light. I dunno. I think its odd because we never really thought that deeply about it and to me the joke is more about the silly notion of "what the hell did the hero do"?!

I like to think the mouse-over text we had for Deadlier Descents sums up our comic style nicely: "The less you think about it, the more it makes sense", and by extension "The less you think about it, the more funny it gets?" I dunno lol

Not to say I'm all innocent, I know I can drudge up some pretty dark comments and things but that territory is certainly one I don't want to be in. Ah well.

I also told Pie not to sweat it; we said our peace in reply and there is no need to let it bother us past that, nor any reason to discuss it past this. I've had a lot more experience developing a thick skin so it's a lot easier for me to shrug off. I also told her, if you protest something too much it just ends up being a way bigger deal than it needs to be. Just toughen up and shrug it off =)

I also told her that it probably wasn't worth even bringing it up here because I feel like it's kind of like running off to mommy when a bully picks on you, but she was really curious if we unintentionally created something that gave people that notion.

But yeah, I'm not going to consider him a troll, people are free to think and speak their minds. At the same time I'm not going to try and convince someone who is dead set against one of, or all of, our works that they "don't get it" or "have it all wrong". People perceive things differently, it's no biggie. People are going to say we suck and twist our works around, there is nothing we can do about it. The important part is we enjoy what we do and we connect with other people that like what we do.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby Adol The Red » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:22 am

I certainly enjoy what you do. Like Paul, was also wondering about how this mating with slimes, and them not knowing it, worked out. What did the slimes think was happening? Okay... now I'm thinking too much about it. What I really wonder is, if this is what the hero does normally, what is his idea of the world needing him? I shudder to think.

And I laugh, because it would be funny. Because the comic is funny. I don't know anything about this other comment you speak of, but based on what I've read here I imagine its someone looking way to deeply at a comic and trying to find something that isn't really there. People love to do that. Either way, funny stuff.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Location: The Island of Sieren. I was on a ship, but I'm Adol so...

Postby Alexx » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:06 am

Good lord you could make a whole other comic (or a few) just depicting all the ridiculous things I think he did in there. I won't go into it. Had to have taken HOURS though.

But hey, who hasn't thought of mating with a slime, am I right? Anyone? High five!
"Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog
Alexx
Knight LV 98/50
Knight  LV 98/50

Next

Return to Illustrated Laughing Squares