[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Life in Aggro
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Life in Aggro Illustrated Laughing Squares

Life in Aggro

In Soviet Russia, comic draw you! Chat about LiA~

Re: Chromatic Shift

Postby Autolux » Sat May 29, 2010 5:38 am

Likewise, I'll be keeping an eye on this when it gets rolling for sure
Thanks to Fei for the super awesome signature!

Can you please hold my hand, you see this wasn't planned, you know I'll understand just tell me how it is.
Someday soon you will see, that it was not just me, and nothing comes for free, at least not worth dying for.
Autolux
Guillotine Cross LV 146/114
Guillotine Cross  LV 146/114

Postby Bear » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:30 pm

Site is up! Still probably has some tweaks left to do (especially font wise for those not on Vista or Win 7 boxes with the Nyala font). Should be all up and running. Let me know what you guys think of the site design, load times, functionality, and how you all like the comic. This one was more of an introductory strip more than anything, I hope you get a little chuckle out of it. For those not in the know, a Tell is a private message in WoW / EQ speak (at least I think EQ...I'm too tired to fact check right now).

The next comic is coming along nicely and I hope you guys enjoy it. Make sure to keep posting feedback and giving up your opinions so Fei and I can keep growing and getting better. Thanks guys!!

<3
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby Luc of True Wind » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:55 pm

The website looks awesome! /no1
The load times are good and the format is good /ok

I did get a good chuckle out of the comic /heh
The part with the scary slave driver made me lol and the fantasy images were great xD

I am so looking forward to reading the next one /lv
Luc of True Wind
High Mage LV 52/40
High Mage  LV 52/40

Postby Neraid » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:27 pm

Yeah the website is really well done. Here are some more of my comments (just personal opinion of course!):

The pictures are really awesome! I especially love the way the characters' emotions are conveyed in the last three panels.

The font works well most of the time, but in a few panels it looks a bit out of place with the text bubbles.
I think it would look a bit better if either the writing was hand-written, or if the text bubbles were less cartoony and more rigid/uniform/computery.

I definitely laughed at a lot of it (the squirrel, the energy drinks + slave master etc). It's better than a lot of webcomics out there and I would want to read the next panel even if I didn't know you.

I know it's hard to strike a balance between a) getting your personalities across in the characters (and mocking yourselves etc...), and b) making the characters so that lots of people can identify with them - but some of the things in the 'fantasy' panels felt a bit in-jokey.

PS: I want a fish butler!
Neraid
Stalker LV 97/66
Stalker  LV 97/66

Postby Bear » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:35 am

Awesome, thanks guys for the feedback, I really appreciate it. It is especially nice to hear that you would be interested in reading it even if you didn't know us Neraid. I can't wait to hear what the reactions are for the second comic, which is online now.

Definitely a lot of game references throughout and I'm kinda guessing that Life in Aggro will primarily be appealing to gamers whereas Chromatic Shift will aim for much broader appeal. Even though Pie and Bear are kind of like alter egos to Fei and me, the more we get into it the more I can see them developing into their own unique characters (especially knowing how the 3rd comic is coming out). The exaggerations that we will put them through is definitely more inline with "what could we do to put them into funny situations" rather than a "what would WE do in those situations".

Well, enjoy and keep the comments and critiques up please =D Thanks so much guys! <3
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby Neraid » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:22 pm

A lot of what you said about floor copies resonated with me Wiz - but I realised I couldn't post a comment on your 'thought'!

It really pisses me off when game stores open the games before selling them. It also pisses me off when the put a huge price sticker on the front which doesn't come off easily.
Some places with second-hand games even put a price sticker directly on the DVD itself! O.o
Why do game stores want to devalue their product before selling them? /glare

PS: LOL @ GameMop. Also I want that manager's Tie /rice
I had a bit of trouble understanding the end of the cartoon though because I wasn't sure what a floor copy was until I read your post XD I thought it was a copy that he had thrown on the floor... :oops:
Neraid
Stalker LV 97/66
Stalker  LV 97/66

Postby Autolux » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:26 pm

I really like where this is going, I gave most of my feedback to you personally wiz but I looked at it again and I realized, that manager is smoking TWO cigars

Can you please hold my hand, you see this wasn't planned, you know I'll understand just tell me how it is.
Someday soon you will see, that it was not just me, and nothing comes for free, at least not worth dying for.
Autolux

Postby Bear » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:53 am

Hehe, thanks for the feedback again guys! As far as comments go, I thought about having it on the main site but I think I will save that for the forums section of the site (which more and more I am liking the idea of converting the FT forums into the CS forums as a way to keep this forum active and hopefully over time introducing new participants to it).

Regarding the floor copy meaning, the joke is supposed to have two meanings - a copy of the game that is obviously on the floor but also the term floor copy. I'm sure you realized already Neraid, but in America it is any product used for display purposes that a store turns around and sells - USUALLY when they are out of stock or trying to clear out a model for a newer version. The joke has more meaning after reading my post about it, but I want to try to aim for the comics to be funny and stand on their own without having to read into it - such as limiting inside jokes and what not.

Funny thing is about the first comic being inside jokes....they weren't actually - they were just supposed to be random fantasies that I was kinda hoping readers would be like "WTF?! What kinda weird fantasy is that lol"

Oh oh! Also, happy you guys like the little details - there are a lot of them. Making the comic is really fun because we get to add small details that we find funny and hope that some others will catch also. In comic 2, Mario and Yoshi are a display statue which I'm not sure how obvious that is considering Link and Prinny are fighting in the background. The store name GameMop is rather blatently mocking GameStop (known in some places still as EBGames). The tag line is basically what they do - wipe up and absorb competition. Locally many mom and pop game stores have gone under because of GameStop's practice of opening up right next to their competitors - and of course mom and pop stores could never match their pricing, launch availability OR pre-order bonuses. Also, the long history of acquisitions they have had includes Babbages to Funcoland to Electronics Boutique\EB Games to Software Etc. to finally GameStop.

The managers tie is the (expanded upon) design of the heartless from Kingdom Hearts. The manager IS smoking TWO cigars, QUITE large (7-foot?), has yellow teeth and messy and greasy slicked back hair. The Santa beard is half off as he can't be bothered fixing up his Santa suit and he has some incredible strength (look how he shattered a disk by throwing it on the ground)!

Also, as I said to Mel, Bear in the next to last panel is shivering because it was, in my mind, supposed to represent him being traumatized by perhaps being molested or something equally wrong. After all, what kinda freak would meet up with someone in a disheveled Santa outfit at midnight and pat his lap wanting Bear to sit on his knee. Then the last panel is like, "Oh, he's traumatized because of the broken floor copy of SMG2". Also, Bear is using his trusty "lucky bear blankie" to find comfort - cutely adorned with childlike bears and four-leaf clovers.

Anyways, sorry for the lack of an update on Friday!! I'll explain why in my post when we release Monday's comic which will hopefully be out early Monday morning.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby Neraid » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:37 pm

Neraid
Stalker LV 97/66
Stalker  LV 97/66

Postby Autolux » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:41 pm

Chromatic shift just went from page 3 to the number one spot on google when you search for Chromatic Shift :D congrats!

Edit: Also one of the skeletons at the managers Santa Workshop is crying XD!

Autolux

PreviousNext

Return to Illustrated Laughing Squares