[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - 2012 Anime
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Other Shiny Things

2012 Anime

Not games but still cool art & entertainment stuff we find interesting!

2012 Anime

Postby chrisb » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:26 am

I managed to watched a couple of the new season's shows.

Kids on the Slope -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-m7LG-CDkQ
A wonderful and gorgeously animated little slice of life. Beautiful jazz music and great characters. Best opening of the season by far!

Lupin III A Woman Named Fujiko -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FVdpDecIxU NSFW
I already fanboyed about this, but this show is beautiful. I was a bit upset at how much "spirit" they took away from Lupin III, but my love of pop art and experimental anime turned me into a fan. Opening has naked ladies posing with owls! You just can't beat that.
chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

Re: 2012 Anime

Postby Tehwilburforce » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:30 pm

I need to watch some Lupin. It looks like it really does a good job of keeping its original style intact (or maybe I'm just seeing old episodes). Either way, I might want to get into it, but I'm afraid of it being too long a series to dedicate time to right now.

Also, that other show, Kids on the Slope looked pretty cool. Is the music really written by Yoko Kanno? If so, i might give it a watch just for her songs. XD

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby chrisb » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:30 pm

Why yes, the soundtrack is indeed composed by the goddess herself :D
chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

Postby TracerBullet » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:03 am

Holy shit this season is full of good (or at least watchable) shows, like moreso than the past several seasons each. A surprising amount of shows have been picked up by funimation/hulu/crunchyroll so you have options to watch almost all of them legally now (within certain regions).

Crispy already talked about Kids on the Slope and Fujiko (w/ Lupin and friends) above. Let me throw down a few more:

Space Bros--Two brothers made a childhood promise to become astronauts. Now (in 2025) the little brother is about to fly on a mission for NASA, and the older brother just got fired from his job, so he ends up applying to become an astronaut for JAXA (Japan's own space agency). Also, I learned that JAXA is a real thing and not just something made up by the anime. It's a more serious show but I like it so far.

Jormungand--The world's smuggest arms dealer, her child-soldier bodyguard, and a team of mercenaries with different skill-sets. The closest you'll get to watching another season of Black Lagoon for now. I'd recommend it.

Tsuritama--I'm not sure what this show is, only that there's a self-proclaimed alien kid who came to Earth for the fishing, and he lives with a kid who's introverted to the max, and there's an Indian boy who dates a duck named Tapioca. It's a lighthearted, weird show, and I find it amusing.

Is This a Zombie? Of The Dead--A boy forced to cross-dress as a magical girl, a necromancer who only speaks through a notepad and pen, a few vampire-ninjas and other magical girls thrown into the mix and you get this show. Also notable for one recent episode where a chainsaw sounded like it was getting molested. I didn't even think that was possible until this show.

Eureka Seven Ao--The sequel to the original. Granted, only 2 episodes have been released so far, but that should give you plenty of time to watch/finish the 50-episode original series if you have not done so yet. Amazing sci-fi with the mechs on hoverboards and flying car action and lasers that seem to defy physics as the plot demands.
TracerBullet
Undeclared
Undeclared

Postby chrisb » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:24 pm

^ I haven't been able to get into Ao, but I wasn't into E7 at first until it really wowed me in its second half. I think I'll follow it a little later on when things start to pick up.

Kids on the Slope- Ugh, why is this so good?! I really love the realistic animation during the musical numbers (must be rotoscoped) and the characters and story continue to be adorable and refreshing. It has its cliches, but it knows how to work them.

Lupin III A Woman Named Fujiko - Continues to be hot. I love it when anime does sensuality right. Doesn't feel like a 14 year old's over the top escapist fantasy. The super sexual nature of the series is fun and classy.

Hyoka - Wow a KyoAni anime with a female lead who doesn't have an annoying moe catchphrase or acts like a mentally challenged 5 year old. Love it. The story is pretty boring so far, but I like the atmosphere and the characters are interesting. The male lead is a little stereotypical KyoAni D-bag, but he isn't too bad and his friend is a lot of fun.
chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

Postby chrisb » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:56 am

Panty and Stocking is finally coming out on DVD in July. The English cast sounds great and I am so looking forward to the over the top stylish perverted nature of the show again.
chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

Postby Adol The Red » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:13 am

Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Location: The Island of Sieren. I was on a ship, but I'm Adol so...

Postby Tehwilburforce » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:29 pm

Is there anywhere to watch Panty and Stocking dubbed on any sites, yet?

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby chrisb » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:56 pm

Not just yet, but it may pop up on Funimation's website in a month or so. They usually preview dubs a bit before release.
chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

Postby chrisb » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:13 am

Natsuyuki Rendezvous is pretty awesome. Probably the only series I'm going to follow from the latest batch of shows. It's nice to have a focus on 20-somethings instead of teenagers. A very subtle and stylish drama.
chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

Next

Return to Other Shiny Things