[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - The Favorite Anime Thread
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Other Shiny Things

The Favorite Anime Thread

Not games but still cool art & entertainment stuff we find interesting!

Re: The Favorite Anime Thread

Postby Tehwilburforce » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:11 pm

Ok first, I have to just say I finished Madoka. It was absolutely beautiful and I honestly couldn't imagine a better ending to the series. I admit, I wanted to cry at times during the last episode, but then I'd remember what Madoka did for all magical girls and all of mankind and I couldn't help but be happy. Then, I'd just remember Mami and be sad again. heh. Whatcha gonna do? Good anime does that to ya.

Anyway, with regards to why I was attracted to the characters in Sailor Moon, I really don't remember much except that the girls were hot and that there was some cool action going on. However, now that I think of it, my favorite sailor scout, Sailor Jupiter, really appeals to me because she's the one who could really kick your butt without trying. She was a bit misguided sometimes, but she always meant well. I always like those characters who really care about others, but can't seem to get other people except their friends to believe because of who they are outwardly. Jupiter was a tomboy who sometimes had a meanstreak, but who was really a sweet person. Maybe I have a tsundere fetish??? /swt2

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby Adol The Red » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:26 pm

Out of sheer curiosity I picked up Black Rock Shooter. I've watched the eight episode series so far, but haven't got to the movie yet. All I knew about it ahead of time was awesome fighting peoples with interesting names. When I first learned that much of the series is based in the real world I was a little disappointed. I'm not a huge fan of anime drama, and I think most shows overdo it.

Now I gotta get my hypocrisy on, because I loved it. Everyone in this show is a little crazy in some way, and it's difficult to understand everyone's motives. In that way, though, it felt a little more real. From my point of view it was less anime over-drama and more reflective of true to life emotional struggle. The characters that do craziest stuff have grown up in situations that could honestly screw someone up. What's more, when the drama heats up, the show usually switches over to the other world where all the fighting is going on. At first I thought it was a metaphor, to be honest, but they clear that up.

And that's what I think is the best. Where the characters do some things that in other shows might irritate me, here they're actually trying to work out their problems, and they only screw it up because they're junior high school kids. As crazy as the show can get, sometimes pushing Evangelion levels of WTF, there is an effort to work things out, and the ending was extremely gratifying. I loved the visual style, and the battles were flat out sweet.

I was up and down as I watched it, from a little disappointed and wishing the story was just about the fighting, to so drawn in that I watched all eight episodes in one sitting despite needing to be asleep instead. All in all a very good show, and comes across as an exploration of the value of negative emotions.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Location: The Island of Sieren. I was on a ship, but I'm Adol so...

Postby Soeroah » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:26 pm

Steins;Gate! Oh, I already posted...

I just finished Hyperdimension Neptunia and I enjoyed it, even if it was a little fanservicey and there were a few iffy moments.
Soeroah
Dancer LV 82/50
Dancer  LV 82/50

Postby Adol The Red » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:46 pm

Watched me some Madoka as well. Very interesting. I like the not all fun and games take on the Magical Girl genre, and I found the rules of their world very interesting. Heart wrenching at times, but I like the route they took. Kinda surprised that the heat death of the universe played a role, but it's nice to be surprised. And man, the witches were flat out trippy. The music is also good, and I'm glad the notions I had about the characters based on all the fan art were mostly wrong. Speaking of, after watching it's easy to understand why there's so much art of the characters just being happy and hanging out.

At any rate, very well done.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Location: The Island of Sieren. I was on a ship, but I'm Adol so...

Postby Bear » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:31 pm

Pie and I are watching Kill la Kill, a new anime made by Trigger, a company of former Gainax employees. It is crazy and over the top in all the right ways and of course the animation is staggeringly awesome. Only 3 episodes are out so far, but you all should check it out.

We're all caught up on Attack on Titan, and I'm unsure if I want to check out the manga or not to get a glimpse on what is coming... serious dilemma there...

Also, started watching the new season of Hajime no Ippo...the first 2 episodes go way too fast for how much content was in the manga, but episode 3 seemed to make up for it with some character building, which is really what is the series' strong point.

We also checked out My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU which was pretty interesting. Short and sweet with some good humor and characters with interesting views on sociology that are blunt and harsh yet honest and relatable.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby RollCasket » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:01 pm

Yeah Kill la Kill is the only one I've looked into so far, but the other maybe is whatever that new Gundam figure battle anime was called, I forgot already. Basically, it's like Angelic Layer, but with Gundam models from apparently all of the series. Nesta showed it to me but I haven't actually watched a full ep yet, but what I saw looked interesting enough.

He also mentioned a new one by the Cowboy Bebop crew called...Space something, lol. My memory is so awesome.
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby ThePaul » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:08 am

Space Dandy, but it doesn't come out till sometime next year.
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby ThePaul » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:26 pm

Hmmm... it looks as though it will be a while before we see any more Attack on Titan. And I'm talking like a Berserk level gap, where they pretty much have to redo the first bit.

Anyway, since we're now using this to talk about current watching stuff, I might as well dump all my watch list, since I'm watching a lot this seasons for some reason.

Like everyone else, I'm watching Kill la Kill. It's keeping my interest, but I still can't help but fell that there could be more to it. Sure, it's about the same level of Over the Top Shenanigans we've come to expect from these guys, but everything else is feels like stuff I've seen a million times before.

Beyond the Boundary (Kyokai no Kanata) has pretty much the same problem of being kinda' generic, but the art is friggin' beautiful, and for some reasons I just don't care about the reused tropes as much.

Watching Log Horizon, because I skipped Sword Art Online (do to hearing bad things about it from a trusted source). I'm really enjoying it, but it's kinda' making me paranoid about MMO's.

Also, you should all be watching Samurai Flamenco. It's pretty hilarious. Just go into it without an prior knowledge, for maximum enjoyment.

Plus Outbreak Company, which is really funny, and Galilei Donna, which has more pretty art.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby Soeroah » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:29 pm

Pre-amble: I still love Steins;Gate. The movie was great, but I prefer the series.

Now; I just watched Higurashi a couple weeks back and my god, it's tied with Steins;Gate as my favourite series now. I mean DAMN. That show was so disturbing at times and so awesome at others. And now I've been listening to music non-stop from the series' source material and daaaaamn.
Soeroah
Dancer LV 82/50
Dancer  LV 82/50

Postby ThePaul » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:09 am

Yeh, I loved the first season of Higurashi, but I only recently starting watching the rest of it. It's slow going tho.

Also, if anyone wants to stalk my anime watchingness, here's my Humming Bird profile: http://hummingbird.me/users/The_Paul

Don't be afraid to ask me how these shows is /no1
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

PreviousNext

Return to Other Shiny Things