[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - A Fury of Pictures and Words - Awesome Webcomics Thread
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Other Shiny Things

A Fury of Pictures and Words - Awesome Webcomics Thread

Not games but still cool art & entertainment stuff we find interesting!

A Fury of Pictures and Words - Awesome Webcomics Thread

Postby Bear » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:11 pm

So, there are a number of awesome comics on the web, so why not share some of them here?

I'll list some of the ones Pie and I follow later, but for starters lets just get the ball rolling. List the comic, link and possibly short description.

I ran into this one and was completely taken with it's art style and the story given in the first chapter. It's brand new, but the first (and only) chapter is comprehensive enough to get you started. Voodoo Shonen Action. Nuff said. The creator JUST came back from hiatus for writing, so Chapter 2 is underway.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Re: A Fury of Pictures and Words - Awesome Webcomics Thread

Postby ThePaul » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:19 pm

:
A comic about the silliness that happens after what appears to be a nucular apocalypse. The humor is great and the art style is quite unique for a comedy web comic. Besides Life in Aggro, this is the only web comic I check every week :)
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby th3squirr3l » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:38 pm

"A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language." M-W-F comic... Very sciency, very funny. The art is not much to talk about, as author Randall Munroe adheres for the most part to a stick figure format, though it suits the comic well. I'm not sure it would be any better otherwise.

Ok. Evan Dahm is a champion. I really, reaaaally recommend reading these. Order to read them in: Rice Boy, Order of Tales, the short stories collection, then Vattu (the current comic being worked on).
Rather than having a humorous comic, these tell awesome, epic stories. The art is just incredible: Rice Boy has an odd style at first, but is greatly detailed with awesome, colorful landscapes that meet somewhere between painterly and cartoonish. Order of Tales is drawn completely in black and white, with amazing shadow work and... just... It's awesome. Vattu has a similar artsistic style to Rice Boy.
The comics all take place in an overarching story on the continent of Overside, and are very indepth, yet not confusing... and... Ok, I'll stop, I don't want to make this too long :P

Another videogame based blog/comic. Great art, especially in the facial expressions. Oh GOD, the facial expressions xD Quite a funny comic, though for some of them I suppose you have to have a certain taste in humor.
Not much else to say about it, other than the fact that it seems to also have a pretty good community forum.

AKA: Dinosaur Comics!
I love these ones. Each comic consists of the same several panelled drawing, with only the text changing between them. And boy, is there a helluvalot of text sometimes. This comic spans quite a range, from philosophical to nonsensical: conversations about the universe, Batman nappytiems, and lesbian relationships between two male dinosaurs... Sometimes it gets a little weird, but that makes it all the better.

Welp, that's all I've got for now. I'll be back with more >:D
th3squirr3l
Sage LV 97/50
Sage  LV 97/50

Postby Doctor G33K » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:32 pm

XKCD IS THE BEST COMIC EVAR. (No offence Bear and Pie). But it's true. :D

http://www.smbc-comics.com/ - I like this one too. Think XKCD, but with dirty humor. And a completely different art style. Very awesome.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly
big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but
that's just peanuts to space, listen..."
~R.I.P. Douglas Adams (I promise I'll stop confusing you with Stephen Douglas)
Doctor G33K
Bard LV 75/44
Bard  LV 75/44

Postby Tehwilburforce » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:06 pm

Might wanna check some of these out later, but here's the two I follow.

- Seriously, the underdog humor in here couldn't be better. I love how the relationships between all of the Super Mario characters are handled and (surprisingly) how some of the characters are portrayed in unexpected, but hilarious ways. Not a huge hassle to read and it isn't very far along. You'll finish it sooner, rather than later.

- I know what you're thinking right about now.
"Wilbur, what in the hell are you doing reading this of all things?"
Well... It's an excellent throwback to times when there were so many awesome cartoons on the air and it effectively ties a bunch of Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network universes together in one story. The art looks great, there's a lot of epic action scenes and the writing is rife with references to all the old shows that will make you ROFL and/or squeal like a fangirl. The story is pretty far along right now, but it shouldn't take up too much of your time.

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby Fixxxer 117 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:07 pm

I really only follow one comic apart from this one and that is Cyanide and Happiness. I think there are about four guys who work on it, each with their own art style and humor. The comic itself has a very simple art style and is known for it's controversial and dirty sense of humor. They tend to release a new strip every day and they also have and Iphone and Android mobile app.

I do the impossible, like skiing through a revolving door.
Fixxxer 117
Assassin Cross LV 94/62
Assassin Cross  LV 94/62

Postby TheNesta » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:05 am

This is Homestuck. It's been somewhat of an obsession for me for over a year now. You'll notice right away that it's a bit different than the usual webcomic. Most of the pages are either one JPG, or one GIF, with a body of text below it describing what's going on, or sometimes it will be a conversation between the characters. Every once in a while you're treated to an awesome flash animation with some awesome original music.

I'd suggest everyone give it a look, it's pretty brilliant, but be warned - it's massive. It took me several months in order to catch up with current updates, and some of the updates are pretty long. But if you stick with it, you'll find that there's an awesome story to be had here. Like, really awesome.

Some of the things that got me interested in the comic in the first place were references to classic games, pop culture, and oddities from the 90's. As well as some truly hilarious conversations between the character. Andrew Hussie, the creator of the comic, is somewhat of a mad genius.

There's a lot more than just the Homestuck comic if you become invested. Hussie has written a few other comics and stories that tie into the Homestuck universe, with nods and cameos thrown in here and there. I also mentioned the music, as there's several albums full of music composed just for the comic, and most of it is quite good. Finally, Homestuck has a pretty massive fanbase, there's tons of art, and crafts related to the comic, and there's even a rather large community of cosplayers who show up at various conventions. There's an ugly side to the fandom too, but really, when isn't there?

Anyways, hope people check it out, I know my girlfriend and I really love the comic, and have made several fan characters for it even! Hoping to share the love with others as well.
TheNesta
Rogue LV 80/48
Rogue  LV 80/48

Postby Bear » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:38 am

I'm happy to see this thread taking off. @Doc - don't even worry about it haha. We're just happy you guys like it enough to stick around. We've not been at it long enough and we have a lot of growing to do yet =)

Should be obvious from this weeks comic that Pie and I are big Nedroid fans. We love how whimsical, charming and random it is.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby Farore » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:17 am

I really enjoy comics that have an ongoing story so there are two main ones that I read every update and those are and (please dont' have me) .

Looking for Group is has a lot of WoW-like elements in it and is progressively telling the story of an elf hunter Cale and his journey. Along the he meets an assortment of characters that are "helping" him along. My favorite character of course is Richard the undead Warlock who enjoys death and all around destruction.

Ctrl+Alt+Del is about a group of friends living together and their escapades in video gaming. I've heard many times that the writer Tim rips off Penny Arcade, but I really dislike the art style of Penny Arcade, it just looks weird to me like the new cartoons for kids, SCOOBY DOO FOREVER! Anyways, CAD follows a loose storyline and will switch between story arcs, single panels, 2-3 page random stories, and "Choose Our Adventure" arcs where readers vote to decided how the next panel will play out.

There are a few others that I read sporadically, but Roll will probably post about those.
Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby th3squirr3l » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:21 pm

Hey Fixxxer, I freakin' love Cyanide and Happiness :D Such a great comic.

Oh, I should mention this: I went to NY ComicCon this year, and met the writers of it! It was awesome :D

Katie Tiedrich from Awkward Zombie was also there, as was Evan Dahm (my friend got an autographed poster of T-O-E). And, though I didn't get to see him, I'm pretty sure Ryan North (Dinosaur Comics/qwantz) was there, too.

I really hope I get to got next year, too :P
th3squirr3l
Sage LV 97/50
Sage  LV 97/50

Next

Return to Other Shiny Things